How to make homemade baby wipes might not be high up on a new mom’s Google search history, but it looks like things might be changing…
Have you ever had a look at what exactly goes into your favorite brand of baby wipes? Smart online tools like the Skindeep Cosmetics Database give you a clear indication of just how ‘skin-safe’ certain brands are, and some of the baby products out there are simply putting the whole game to shame, to say the least.
A lot of moms trust and use Pampers on a daily basis, but their Clean & Go Wipes are made with repulsive ingredients, scoring them a 5 out of 10 rating for hazardous ingredients which may cause allergies and organ system toxicity.
Then there’s the case of Huggies; their Cucumber and Green Tea Wipes being equally as loved and popular with moms as their Pampers competitor range. They scored a terrible 7 out of 10 for hazardous ingredients, which are known to cause certain kinds of cancer, allergies, reproductive toxicity, and cellular changes, to name but a few.
Millions of moms across the globe have been innocently using these baby wipes on the skins of their newborns, blissfully unaware of the toxic havoc they could be creating for their baby’s skin and intestines.
What is the Alternative?
Luckily, there is a range of healthier, alternative options for baby wipes, and the great part about it is that you can make it yourself, at home, where you get to monitor the ingredient which will eventually be applied to your baby’s delicate skin!
While there are more natural baby wipes available on the market today - which include the likes of bamboo for ingredients - they can easily break the bank because they’re crazy expensive. So for the sake of saving cash and protecting that super sensitive newborn skin of your baby, we’ve drawn together a wealth of resources to bring you our very own - sensitive skin approved - D.I.Y homemade baby wipes recipe. Let’s show you how it’s done…
D.I.Y Homemade Baby Wipes Recipe
You Will Need:
- 1 Roll Heavy Duty Paper Towels
- 1 Empty Baby Wipes Container (something like an empty gallon ice cream bucket works just as well)
- 1 3/4 Cups Boiled (lukewarm) Water
- 1 Tablespoon Aloe Vera Extract
- 1 Tablespoon Witch Hazel Extract
- 1 Teaspoon Liquid Castile Soap
- 10 Drops Grapefruit Seed Extract
- 1 Teaspoon Almond Oil
- 6 Drops Lavender Essential Oil
- 6 Drops Orange Essential Oil
Making Your Own Natural Baby Wipes at Home
1. Begin the process by cutting up your rolls of paper towel in half by using a sharp knife. Next, you’re going to have to fold the paper towel accordion style if you’re using an old wipes container. If you’re using an old Rubbermaid #6 container, place your towels cut side down in the container.
2. Now get a quart-size jar or bowl and then add in the water, Aloe Vera, Witch Hazel, Castile Soap, Grapefruit Seed Extract and your oils, and then mix everything together really well.
3. After the liquids have been combined, go ahead and pour them over the paper towel and allow it to absorb nicely for at least 10 minutes. To ensure all the wipes are thoroughly soaked, just flip the container over once.
4. Your wipes are now done and can be used just like you’d use the store-bought versions.
Can These Wipes Be Reused?
Not exactly no, the recipe we just gave you is specifically made so that the wipes can be disposed of after using them. You can, however, use the exact same recipe we just gave you, but instead of using paper towels, just use old receiving blankets into 8x8 squares. The squares can then be folded into the size of wipes and drenched with the liquid you’d make for the disposable baby wipes.
As matriarch moms, this recipe has probably been one of the best we’ve ever conjured up, and they’re 100% kid approved. They smell great and as a little side bonus, these wipes work great for cleaning surfaces such as tiles, counters, flooring well, and leather!
We hope that you have enjoyed reading this post and that it has armed you with all the information you need pertaining to the idea of how to make your own baby wipes. You are an amazing mom, and with information like this, you’ll be doing an even better job at protecting your little bundle of love against the harsh elements of this world!