A well-designed cover-up might well be your best shot at keeping meal times as mess-free as possible!
Baby = Noise with dirt on it.
Babies are messy, whether they’re endlessly demanding milk feedings or transitioning to solids or just drooling mad due to teething problems, babies need the best baby bibs in order to stay clean.
Some mums prefer ultra-absorbent bibs (which are great for the newborn days), while others rather turn to wipe-down bibs for the times where baby starts eating solid foods. Ensuring that you invest in the right bib for baby won’t only take some pressure off the washing machine; it might just help you escape the baby days with a few less gray hairs.
You thought all baby bibs were created equal? Guess again! We’ve got all the information you’ll need in order to make a top-notch choice and invest in the right baby bibs from the get go…
Understanding the Different Types of Baby Bibs
Essentially, there are 3 main types of baby bibs:
1. Feeding Bibs - Feeding bibs go around your baby’s neck during feeding times. They’re big enough to cover your baby’s cute clothes throughout the process, which keeps mess down to a minimum.
2. Drool Bibs - Much smaller than feeding bibs, drool bibs are essential during the teething process since they prevent drool from drenching your baby’s clothes.
3. Smocks - Long-sleeved bibs, better known as smocks, are also great as an alternative to the traditional feeding bib. These bibs cover your baby’s arms and the majorly exposed parts of his body, preventing a scenario where a baby becomes covered in food.
Buying Guide - What to Look for in the Best Baby Bib
Foldability - Your baby’s bibs have to be foldable so that they can easily be taken along on your outings. The smaller it’s able to fold down, the less space it will take up in your diaper bag. Score!
Cleanability - The ease in which a baby bib can be cleaned is essential, yet it is often overlooked by new moms. The fact of the matter is that your baby’s bib needs to be able to handle whatever mess gets thrown at it, and you need to be able to clean it with the utmost of ease.
Good Fit - Baby bibs need to have secure, snug fits. The snugger the fit, the harder it will be for your baby to take the bib off during meal times and the better the bib will be able to contain the mess.
Comfort Factor - The more comfy a baby is in his bib, the better meal times go down. Ensure that the bib isn’t too tight around your baby’s neck, it doesn’t irritate his neckline, and it doesn’t rub against his skin. This will ensure your baby stays focused on eating rather than trying to wiggle free from the bib.
Review of the Best Baby Bibs Currently on the Market
While there are literally thousands of different baby bibs on the market, we’ve drawn together the best of the bunch in order to lend a helping hand to all new moms out there. Have a look at what makes our selected bibs so great, and then decide whether or not they’re worth your time and effort.
1. Tommee Tippee Milk Feeding Bibs
We love baby products from Tommee Tippee since they’re all made with great quality; durability isn’t a questionable factor with this brand. The same goes for their Milk Feeding Bibs. These bibs were made with very young infants in mind, the ones that still take milk feedings exclusively.
We’re not sure that these bibs have what it takes to make it through solid mealtimes though. Because these bibs are made with ultra-soft material, they’re perfect for sensitive skin and will ensure your baby has the most comfortable bib around.
- Padded neckline for added comfort
- Easy to clean
- Provides snug and secure fit
- Machine washable
- More expensive than most other brands
- Not ideal for solid meal feeding times
2. Lassig Long Sleeve Bib Little Tree Fox
If you’ve got a baby that just loves getting particularly messy at meal times, this bib might be the answer you’ve been looking for all along. This smock is made with durable materials and finished off with a layer of polyester, which means that cleaning the bib is as easy as giving it a good wipe down.
We like the idea that this long sleeve bib ideally doubles up as an apron, which means that babies 12 months up to 2 years can easily use it as a cover for explorative play.
- Easy to clean
- Full-body protection
- Bib doubles up as an apron for explorative play
- Sized for babies 12 months and older
3. Naty Disposable Bibs
While disposable bibs might cost more in the long run, they’re great for parents on the move who don’t have time (or the resources) to clean bibs while they’re on the road. We like the fact that these bibs are soft to the touch and the idea that they easily attach to baby’s clothing with 2 sticky patches on the shoulders. The bottom of the bib also has a catch-pocket to help contain any food spills.
- Soft and comfortable
- Easy to use
- Biodegradable and disposable for o-the-go use
- 2 sticky patches for attachment to baby’s clothes might not secure the bib tightly
- Cost of continuously purchasing a new pack of wipes often can quickly become expensive
4. Cheeky Chompers Neckerchew Royal Chic
The Cheeky Chopers Neckerchew Royal Chic bib is a unique, 2-in-1 solution which has been designed with teething babies in mind. It acts as a bib to help soak up any drool, but it also comes with a teething toy, which is great for little ones to chew on while they’re going through the teething process.
- Teething toy attached
- Works for catching drool and soothing itching gums
- Reversible design
- Offers great value for money
- Not ideal for meal times or milk feedings
- A bit expensive when compared to other options
5. Make My Day Baby Dog Bib
Don’t let the name deceive you; this might well be one of the cutest and most cheerful bibs we’ve ever set our eyes on. The Make My Day Baby Dog Bib was made to help make mealtimes more fun, hence the cute design of this bib. The bib is made from BPA-free plastic, so it’s soft to the touch and gentle on your baby’s skin. Complete with a crumb catcher pocket and an adjustable neck strap, this bib is definitely worth its higher price tag.
- Comes with crumb catcher and adjustable neck strap
- Safe to wash in the washing machine or dishwasher
- Soft and secure fit to baby’s neck
Your baby will spend a lot of time regurgitating milk and dribbling before the move onto a stage where the start smearing food on locations you never thought imaginable. The best defense a new mom can have in the war on changing clothes the whole time is the best baby bibs.
We reckon that the Tommee Tippee Milk Feeding Bibs are a great choice for new moms with very young babies, but we’ve also selected products in every stage range, which will help you understanding what you’ll need to catch drool and food at every stage of your baby’s development. Now it’s your turn to sit back and decide which one of these bibs will suit the needs of you and your baby best!